The North Oxford Kinema in Walton Street was opened in 1913. In 1920 it was renamed the Scala. The building was designed by local architect Gilbert T Gardner for proprietors Richard Henry John Bartlett, W Beeson and Charles Green. In 1930 sound equipment was installed. Subtitled films were regularly shown, which were especially popular with foreign-language students.

Over the following years, it became one of the most important art-house cinemas in the United Kingdom outside London. In 1970 the single auditorium was divided into two, and renamed Studios One and Two. After a change of ownership in 1977, it was renamed the Phoenix. In 1989 the venue became the first of what was to form the Picturehouse family of cinemas. A final addition of the bar in the 1990s brought the cinema to its current configuration.

FOOD & DRINK

Our small but perfectly formed first-floor bar is the ideal setting for the heated debate that often follows a great movie. We offer a fantastic range of wines, locally sourced craft beers and premium spirits, all served by our enthusiastic and welcoming staff. And our new ‘snug’ area is ideal for a small get-together.

Looking for a venue with a twist? Our bar is available for hire for private functions such as birthday parties, wedding receptions and corporate events.